This page uses Javascript. Your browser either doesn't support Javascript or you have it turned off. To see this page as it is meant to appear please use a Javascript enabled browser.
facebook youtube blogger

News Release

Print this Page

The Miamia Herald

March 5, 2009

Who Keeps Tabs on Assisted Living Facilities?

Q. My father moved to a local assisted-living facility. Mostly, everything is satisfactory, but there are a couple of minor issues that have upset him, although the facility is not breaking the law. Another resident told him he can file a complaint about his rights being violated, but my dad doesn't remember the details. Can Action Line advise?
-- Jeff T., Miami

A. Try Florida's Long-Term Care Ombudsman Program. Find details here or call 888-831-0404.
The website says the program 'was founded in 1975 as a result of the federal Older Americans Act, which grants a special set of residents' rights to individuals who live in long-term care facilities such as nursing homes, assisted-living facilities and adult family care homes. The program seeks to ensure the health, safety, welfare and rights of these residents throughout Florida, and does so through the efforts of its empowered corps of trained and certified volunteers.''